After a disastrous debut for the live-service shooter earlier this year, Bungie and PlayStation made the decision to move Marathon out of its planned September 23 release date and into next year. During a Q&A session after the company’s Q2 earnings call, Sony CFO Lin Tao fielded some questions about not only the game, but Bungie itself, and it seems the longtime development house will soon be fully integrated into the PlayStation Studios family.
As reported by VGC, when asked about Marathon’s current status and whether or not it will launch in the fiscal year–which ends March 31, 2026–Tao said through an interpreter that the company “factored it in the forecast” and that it “expects the launch to happen within the fiscal year.” However, she did also stress that her words were not a confirmation of that target, as “no official announcement has been given yet.”
Tao added that Sony has stepped in to make “modifications in development,” and that either Bungie or PlayStation will be able to announce Marathon’s new launch date “in the autumn timeframe.” Tao said the company, at this moment, does not expect the game to be canceled.